About CHP

Beijing Cultural Heritage Protection Center (CHP) is a small grassroots, legally-registered NGO working to protect cultural heritage across China.

Donate to CHP!

Heritage Trail project

Hougulouyuan Hutong 后鼓楼苑胡同

IMG_8275 copy

Introduction

Hougulouyuan Hutong is a winding alley running generally north-south. It starts at Gulou East Street in the north, and ends at Qiangulouyuan Hutong to the south. Nanluoguxiang lies to the east, and Di’anmenwai Street to the west.  It is 225 meters in length and average 4 meters in width. The house numbers on one side range from 1 to 27, and from 2 to 40 on the other. During the Xuantong period, it was called Hougulouyuan because that it was adjacent to Qiangulouyuan Hutong.  This name continued to be used after the founding of the Republic of China. In 1965, when the government modified the place names, Daheng Hutong was merged into it, and the entire alley was called “Hougulouyuan Hutong”. After that its name changed several times, until it regained its former name in 1979. The buildings in the Hutong are primarily residential.

Qiushi High School:

According to the Brief Guide of Beijing edited by Yao Zhuxuan, Qiushi High School was in Hougulou Yuan outside Di’anmen.

Qiushi High School was one of the earliest private high schools established in China. The address of the school for boys was No. 202, Gulou East Street, and the school for girls was in No. 18 in Hougulouyuan Hutong, which has now become the 23rd High School in Beijing (No. 152 in Gulou East Street). In the 27th year of the Guangxu Emperor (1901), the school was established by Jiang Wuxing, who was the head of the editors of dynastic history.  Wen Bin, along with Bao Xi, and other editors were collectively called the “Qiushi Academy”.  In the following year, Wen Bin became the headmaster of the school, and changed its name to “The Eight Banners of Jueluo Middle School”.

The school changed its name to “Qiushi Middle School” around the 30th year in Guangxu Emperor.  In 1912, After the revolution, this school received its present name of “Qiushi High School.” The school consisted of a primary school and a middle school, and contained its own dormitory.  In 1929, girls were allowed to attend this school. The tuition for the normal primary school was one yuan per month; for the advanced primary school was two yuan, the middle school three yuan. The fee for the dormitory was two and a half yuan per month. The school was funded entirely by tuition fees. If these were not enough for operating costs the founders would contribute their own funds. According to the rules, the graduates of Qiushi were given equal opportunity with public school graduates to enter the ranks of government after graduation.  In short, Qiushi High School was one of Beijing’s most outstanding private schools.

Jizu Temple

According to the record The History of Temples in Beijing, Jizu temple was located at No. 18 in Hougulouyuan Hutong, and was built in the 24th year of the Kangxi Emperor, during the Qing Dynasty. The temple took up 7 acres in area. There were 30 rooms including the temple gates and the main halls. One part of the temple was rented to Qiushi High School but the temple no longer stands.

IMG_8278

yingbi screen carving in restored courtyard in Hougulouyuan Hutong

Reference:

Zhong Jianwei. The History of the Place names in Dongcheng District, Beijing

LI, Tiesheng, Zhang Endong, editor. The History of Nanluogu Allay

LI, Tiehu. A Glimpse of the Middle Schools in Beiping under the Domination of the Japanese Puppet Government. 1996. 04

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Tumblr
  • TwitThis

Comments are closed.

Copyright © 2017 Beijing Cultural Heritage Protection Center - All Rights Reserved
Powered by WordPress · Atahualpa Theme by BytesForAll